Saturday, October 13, 2007

Some things stay the same

When I was in high school, I was fortunate enough to take a trip to Spain. We visited Granada, a city located in the southern part of Spain. I picked up some souvenir Taracea a form of marquetry that uses wood, bone and sometimes metal. When I returned home, I gave a plaque to both my mother and grandmother. In the past few years, they both have been given back to me. I have since expanded my collection. These are just a few I have hanging on my wall. (Please disregard the cobwebs hanging :-)





So is anyone else noticing the similarities between this type of inlay and some of the complex designs in quilts? I was intrigued with the intricate designs when I was 17 and happily, I still am at age 39.

1 comment:

Rhonda P. said...

Thanks for sharing some of your collection! They remind me so much of a quilt book I recently bought. The quilts are designed from mosaic floors found in Europe. Bella Bella quilts. You should check it out because I am sure you would love the patterns.

About Me

My photo
Bargersville, Indiana, United States
I'm a 45 year old wife and mother. Quilting is my haven from the real world.